By Scott Bolthouse | The Huron Hub
Posted Monday, Dec. 6, 2021
Huron High School in New Boston was placed on lockdown Monday after a threat was found written on a bathroom wall inside the school.
Police have no one in custody as of Monday evening, and they plan to increase their presence Tuesday at the high school as a precaution.
Multiple units with Huron Township police responded to the school Monday at 11:30 a.m. The school’s resource officer was already on scene.
The threat in the bathroom did not contain a specific threat, police said.
Students were placed in a lockdown status to contain any threat that may exist as the investigation proceeded.
Students were allowed bathroom breaks upon request and were escorted by school and law enforcement staff to ensure their safety.
Parents requesting to remove their student from the school were allowed and those students were safely escorted to their parent.
An investigation was conducted throughout the morning, afternoon, and is continuing throughout the evening Monday, according to authorities.
Multiple students were identified from school surveillance footage having entered the bathroom from the beginning of the school day until the time in which the threat was discovered and reported.
All of the students who entered the bathroom during the specific time in question were identified and interviewed.
Multiple lockers and belongings were searched. No weapons or anything else that presented an immediate danger to students or staff was located throughout the investigation.
“We will have extra staff on school grounds as a precaution at drop off, dismissal, as well as throughout the upcoming days. We have not located any evidence of an imminent threat, but that does not mean we shouldn’t all stay vigilant. If you see something or hear something, please say something,” said Everette Robbins, Huron Township director of public safety.
“I would ask parents to talk to their students tonight and in the upcoming days and pass on any information they may have regarding the recent threats. It is important that we hold those responsible accountable so that our students can get back to getting an education.”
Last week, a similar incident occurred at Renton Junior High School.
Authorities are warning young people that making threats against schools is a serious offense.
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy announced charges recently against seven juveniles in separate incidents recently for making threats against schools or having a weapon in school.
Donovan Rowe, superintendent of Huron School District, released a letter to parents Monday. The entire letter is available below.