By Scott Bolthouse—Hub Editor—ScottBolthouse@HuronHub.com
A student at Renton Junior High School in New Boston told Huron Township police Friday that she overheard a classmate make a threat against another student during an altercation at the school.
Public Safety Director Everette Robbins said the student and a parent visited the police department Friday evening to report the threat, which was allegedly made earlier that day.
The student told police that during an altercation between two students inside a classroom, she overheard a boy tell another student that he would kill him.
A teacher then intervened and removed the student from the classroom and an investigation was conducted by calling in Huron police detectives, the school resource officer, and patrol and command staff.
The student was suspended from school and all school-related activities and brought to the police department where he was interviewed in the presence of his parents.
Robbins said the boy denied making the threat and denied wanting to cause harm to other students or staff, and was cooperative throughout the investigation.
The student who overhead the threat also told police they allegedly heard the same student make a threat to shoot students inside the school sometime over the last few months.
“I immediately contacted Superintendent Rowe and Principal Mrocko and they worked hand in hand with us throughout the night. We have a great working relationship with them and they were every bit as concerned about these alleged threats as we were. They assured me that they would handle this internally as well and make sure that the students were safe. There is nothing more important to all of us than the safety of our kids. We will continue to work together to make sure our students are safe,” Robbins said.
Robbins said the investigation into the threat is ongoing and information will be forwarded to the Wayne County prosecuting attorney to review for possible charges.
Police and school administration say it is safe to attend classes on Monday.
“We take all of these cases seriously and want to make sure that we are transparent with our community. I do not believe that there is any threat to our student’s safety at this time,” he said.